Avicenna College Diploma in Opticianry is implemented in 100 credit hours’ programme where the students will undergo clinical practice training in private and commercial optometrist premises in the final year of study. Students will have plenty of opportunities to practice skills learned in class on site and in clinical in a real-life setting. In order to realizing our institution mission to become the foremost educational institution, we are passionate to pave the way for those who were not science stream students in the secondary school or the ‘late bloomers’ whom did not have the chance to secure a placement in public higher institutions. They will be given the opportunity to pursue this Allied Health Science programme by enrolling in our Certificate in Optical Technology programme before furthering the Diploma, which will unlock the door to the optical professions.
The theory and practical experience in labs/clinics teaches students to competently dispense eyeglasses, other vision devices. The program also focuses on the expertise necessary to surface, fabricate, repair, customize and modify eyewear to the patients’ needs. Emphasis is also placed on entrepreneurship by teaching how to establish and operate a small business, how to use effective sales techniques as well as enhancing communication and interpersonal skills in order to be successful in the optical retail environment.
Opticians are formally trained vision care practitioners who prepare and dispense optical aids by using the prescriptions of Optometrists or Ophthalmologists. In our full-accredited Diploma in Opticianry Programme, students will learn about the science behind eye function and vision correction, techniques for dispensing vision devices and eye glasses, and also the overview of business training for operating an optical retail business.
We aim to produce graduates that are responsible in becoming opticians with basic knowledge of anatomy, physiology and optical vision in dealing with patients, capable on prescribing refractive error corrections to patients aged 8 years and above, as well as skillful technical workers whom dealing with ophthalmic instrumentation. The programme graduates will be awarded Diploma of Opticianry, and are eligible as a registered and accredited Optician with Malaysian Optical Council (MOC), Ministry of Health.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES (PLO)
At the end of this programme, students will be able to:
- Acquire and apply knowledge of prescribing and dispensing glasses for patients aged 8 years and above (Knowledge).
- Demonstrate comprehensive clinical expertise in performing non cycloplegic refraction and prescribing spectacles for patients aged 8 years and above (Practical Skills).
- Identify, formulate and provide appropriate and effective management to non-complicated refractive error cases (Problem Solving & Scientific Skills).
- Communicate effectively both in written and spoken form with opticians, optometrists, other professionals and community (Communication Skills).
- Function individually or in teams, effectively, with a capability to be a leader (Teamwork Skills).
- Understand and commit professionally, ethically and with humane responsibility, in line with the optician’s code of conduct (Values, Ethics, Moral & Professionalism).
- Recognize the need for and to engage in life-long learning and professional development (Information Management & Lifelong Learning Skills).
- Self-motivate and enhance entrepreneurship skills for career development (Managerial & Entrepreneurial Skills).
- Pass SPM with at least 3 credits which include either 2 of these following subjects (Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics) and passed English subject ; OR
- Pass Certificate in Optical Technology or equivalent ; OR
- Pass Certificate in Science or equivalent from recognized Higher Learning Institute (PPT) ;OR
- Pass Fellow of British Dispensing Opticians (FBDO) or equivalent from recognized PPT.
- Optician/Dispensing Optician/Ophthalmic Dispenser working in a wide range of places, including:
- Retail optical stores
- Private optometric practices
- Public and private hospitals
- Community health centres
- Manufacturers of ophthalmic products (e.g. contact lens, eye solutions)
- Manager/Owner of Optical Retails
- Sales Representative for Frame and Lens Distributors
Further studies in the Optometry field at Bachelor Degree, Master Degree or PhD level and later on be an academician or researcher at any Public or Private Institutions of Higher Education.